Au pair in United Kingdom

Au pair programs and visa information in United Kingdom:

Youth Mobility Scheme:

1. The Youth Mobility Scheme (YMS) has replaced the au pair visa program for non-EEA nationals, the working holidaymaker visa, the BUNAC work/study visa, the Japan Youth Exchange Scheme and the Gap Year Entrants working in the United Kingdom.

2. This visa allows a 2 year stay, but cannot be extended.

3. Currently the only countries that are participating in the Youth Mobility Scheme are:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
Youth Mobility Scheme requirements:

Applicant must be a national of one of the above participating countries. Check the UK visa site, for updated country lists.

Applicant must be between the ages of 18 and 30.

Applicant must have no children under the age of 18 who is either living with him/her or for whom he/she is financially responsible.

If you previously spent time in the United Kingdom on the Working Holidaymaker visa, you are not eligible for the Youth Mobility Scheme.

Applicant must show that they have enough money to support themselves for the entire duration of their stay. The funds requirement for YMS is £1600. This amount must be held in the applicant's personal bank account on the date of the application for entry clearance.

If you are unsure about whether you need a visa or not the UK Visa website has a tool that tells you if you need a visa and what forms you need to fill out to get the visa you require.